Awkward Parenting Stories #1: Where Do Babies Come From Mom?
Where Do Babies Come From?
Have you ever had that moment when one of your cherubs throws you into the lion’s den?
“Where do babies come from?” This was the question that our 5 year old daughter posed just after we finished up breakfast and were relaxing at the table. How did we get here? What is happening here?
When faced with these types of challenging questions, there are several paths to pursue.
- Turn immediately and run as fast as you can yelling let’s get out of here in an attempt to change the focus of the conversation toward your conjured up exciting event. Unfortunately, much to my chagrin, I did not choose this option :).
- Pretend that you suddenly have an acute hearing loss that requires you to keep talking about another subject completely ignoring the posed question. Alas, that was not my choice either :).
- Answer the question with a confabulated response in the hopes of confusing your cherubs enough that they get frustrated or become disinterested. Nope, you guessed it, did not choose that option either.
- Answer the question accurately using the correct scientific terms. Ok you guessed it, I chose this path. Big mistake! I think like a physician and don’t always turn it off to explain things to our cherubs. So on I went trying to explain my answer when they kept asking deeper questions. I tried to keep my responses accurate but purposefully vague only to dig a deeper hole. (I don’t suggest this path if you can help it).
- Have a spouse or another adult rescue you from the depths of the abyss of childish query into uncomfortable for the adults topics. Ultimately, this is what saved me! That old exit strategy is paramount.
So I say all this to say that there will be plenty of awkward parenting moments in this crazy parenting life. What matters is that we show our cherubs love and attention so that they can be confident and healthy citizens when they grow up. After all, there is no real parenting manual as families, cherubs and parents are so different.
If you found this post helpful and or entertaining, comment below and share it! Thank you for your time with me today reading and watching. I appreciate it!
Be strong. Be brave. Unleash your greatness!