BBQ Tri-Tip Steak
Steak night doesn’t have to be unhealthy! This marinated tri-tip steak recipe keeps the flavor high and the calories low. We used tri-tip, but you can use this marinade for any lean cut of steak, or try it on pork loin, chicken breasts, or turkey!
Pay attention to the last preparation step that suggests resting the steak for 10 minutes before slicing. This important step allows the juices to settle back into the meat giving you a perfect, juicy steak.
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp. all-fruit plum jam (or your favorite jam)
- ½ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1-2 medium serrano chiles, cut in half, seeds removed, chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 1¾ lb. raw tri-tip roast
Place ginger, garlic, jam, soy sauce, oil, and water in a blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
Add onions and chiles; pulse until blended. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Place tri-tip in glass dish; top with marinade. Marinate, covered, in refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
Preheat grill on high.
Place tri-tip on grill; brown for 5 minutes on each side.
Reduce heat to medium; cook slowly, basting with marinade every 5 to 10 minutes. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes on each side or to desired doneness. Test for temperature with a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the tri-tip reaching 125° F. for rare and 140° F. for medium.
Remove from grill; cover with foil and let sit for 10 minutes. Slice thinly across grain.
Latest posts by (see all)
- Give Your Goals a Punch - February 21, 2020
- Podcast: 3 Reasons Professional Women Should Start One - February 20, 2020
- Turmeric Talk - February 13, 2020
- The Battle Rope Work - February 6, 2020