Butternut Squash Spaghetti with Sausage and Sage
Cut the carbs by adding spiralized squash to spaghetti for a veggie-centric pasta dish!
- 8 oz. Spaghetti
- Top half of a medium butternut squash (the "neck," about 12 oz.)
- 2 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. Sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. Fresh sage leaves (about 8), chopped
- 1/4–1/2 tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3/4 c. Dry white wine
- 2 c. Baby kale
- 1/4 c. Cream
- 1 tbsp. Whole-grain mustard
- 2 oz. Crumbled blue cheese or coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar
Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
Meanwhile, peel the butternut squash and spiralize on a thin noodle setting. Cut any very long strands in half.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, sage, and red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the butternut squash and toss to combine. Add the wine and cook, covered, until the squash is just tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the kale and toss to combine. Stir in the cream and mustard and simmer until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Fold in the cheese.
- 546 CAL
- 25 G FAT (10 G SAT FAT)
- 65 MG CHOL
- 650 MG SOD
- 23 G PRO
- 55 G CAR
- 4 G FIBER
Latest posts by (see all)
- Limited Time to Exercise? Some Time Management Talk - January 23, 2020
- Use Your Positive Psychology - January 17, 2020
- Milk Power - January 9, 2020
- Hello 2020 A New Decade! - January 3, 2020