Healthy Heart Foods
Is there a way to eat healthy for your heart?
There are foods that can be eaten that will help with your heart health. Many of these foods you may be eating now, but you will begin to understand why you are eating them and how they help your body and heart.
Do’s and Don’t
Eliminate trans-fats and saturated fats from your diet. Look at those labels. They will try and trick you. Trans-fat is in many processed foods like margarine, shortening, and others. Saturated fats are in full-fat dairy foods and red meats.
Include two healthy oils: poly-unsaturated fatty acids and mono-unsaturated fatty acids. Poly-unsaturated fatty acids are found in foods like oily fish and walnuts, flax seed, omega-3 fortified eggs, and small leafy greens. Mono-unsaturated fatty acids are found in olive oil and canola oil and avocados.
- Eat fresh whole foods instead of processed foods.
- Reduce the amount of salt you take in. Keep track of your sodium intake.
- Get some movement in your day. Fitness is good for your heart and lungs as well as your whole body.
10 Healthy Heart Foods
You will definitely want to keep these healthy foods around.
Walnuts – Helps cholesterol, blood pressure & inflammation.
Spinach – Helps brain function & improves blood pressure.
Salmon – Omega-3 in salmon helps prevent heart disease.
Kidney Beans – High in fiber & lowers cholesterol.
Oatmeal – Lowers the rise in blood sugar after meals.
Blueberries – Antioxidants/fiber helps prevent heart disease.
Broccoli – Can help lower cholesterol & help to facilitate digestion.
Carrots – Improves vision & helps prevent heart disease.
Tuna – Aids in the prevention of irregular heart rhythms.
Flaxseed – Prevents hardening of the arteries.
The food is something you can begin to control. Your heart will benefit from your choices.
Latest posts by Charmaine Gregory (see all)
- Give Your Goals a Punch - February 21, 2020
- Podcast: 3 Reasons Professional Women Should Start One - February 20, 2020
- Turmeric Talk - February 13, 2020
- The Battle Rope Work - February 6, 2020