Night Shift Doctor Mom Stories #1: Emergency Medicine Chose Me!
Night Shift Doctor Mom Stories#1:Emergency Medicine Chose Me!
It was never my plan to spend a career serving patients in the Emergency Department night after night. The version of me that entered medical school freshly in the twenties had her sights set on being a Forensic Pathologist just like Dr Scarpetta in Patricia Cornwell novels. Little did I know that my experiences would carve a different path and one that proved to be my soul mate career choice.
The Lessons I learned from this are:
- Truth comes from unlikely sources sometimes. It took a older Persian physician who I encountered once to tell me the truth about my compatibility with the path I thought I should be on. Never would I have imagined that just one encounter could change the course of my life in such a dramatic way. My mind was young and malleable therefore I was receptive to making a change without hesitation.
- Going with your gut can pay off. When I started seeing the possibilities of a career in the Emergency Department my visceral instinct propelled me towards it. I tried my best to keep an open mind while on my rotations to avoid premature closure bias. There were things about each rotation that I liked but I felt the most at home when I was in the Emergency Department. I never looked back and the ride has been filled with peaks and nadirs but I have no regrets in trusting my gut so many years ago.
- Soulmates grow together. Emergency Medicine and I are indeed soulmates. Our relationship has been full of growth over the years. I am changing and finding that my soulmate is also changing and the opportunity for carving a new way within it exists. This is exciting to me because as I mature, I am finding that my specialty gives me to flexibility to pursue passions outside of the Emergency Department and still allows me to serve patients. So we met in my twenties and we continue to grow together through my forties and beyond.
If this story was inspiring or encouraging to you, please share it and comment below. Thank you for your time and attention in reading this blog post.
Be strong. Be brave. Unleash your greatness!
Latest posts by Charmaine Gregory (see all)
- Give Your Goals a Punch - February 21, 2020
- Podcast: 3 Reasons Professional Women Should Start One - February 20, 2020
- Turmeric Talk - February 13, 2020
- The Battle Rope Work - February 6, 2020