Philly Cheese Steak Sliders
Philly Cheese Steak SlidersAs delicious as they are, Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches are notorious for their heartburn-inducing piles of greasy meat and oozing cheese on a processed white bread roll. But, with a few healthy tweaks, they can fit into your healthy eating plan. By using fresh veggies, lean sirloin steak, and smaller whole wheat rolls, you can get the same authentic flavor without the extra fat and calories. Slap on a slice of provolone cheese and you’ve got yourself a meal!
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green (or red) bell pepper, sliced
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves)
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 8 oz. raw lean beef sirloin, sliced very thin
- ¼ cup sliced banana (or cherry) peppers (optional)
- 2 oz. thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 4 small whole wheat rolls, split, toasted
Here are your instructions:
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet (or griddle) over medium-high heat.
Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions are soft.
Add mushrooms and oregano. Season with salt and pepper if desired; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft.
Add sirloin; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until beef is cooked through.
Top evenly with banana peppers (if desired) and cheese. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Top buns evenly with meat mixture; serve immediately.
Tip: To make slicing sirloin easier, freeze it for approximately 30 minutes before slicing.
Latest posts by (see all)
- Give Your Goals a Punch - February 21, 2020
- Podcast: 3 Reasons Professional Women Should Start One - February 20, 2020
- Turmeric Talk - February 13, 2020
- The Battle Rope Work - February 6, 2020