The Ultimate Vegan Mac and Cheese
You won’t believe this recipe is low-fat AND oil-free. Nope.
You also won’t believe that bright and creamy cheese sauce you see is practically all made out of vegetables. Yes.
It’s beyond healthy and exceeds the clean eating craze… It’s The Ultimate Vegan Mac and Cheese. YUM.
Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food and is often seen as a decadent, rich and fattening meal. This one is all of those things without the fattening part. It’s also a great way to sneak in extra veggies!!
So what’s this magical cheese sauce made out of, you ask?
- 2 cups water
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 8 baby carrots (or 2 medium-sized carrots, chopped)
- 1 zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 of a sweet onion, chopped
- 12 oz. of pasta
- boiled vegetables
- remaining water from the pot (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2-3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tblspn dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tspn salt, or to taste
- pepper, to taste
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
Here are your instructions:
In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add in the sweet potato and boil for about 5 minutes. Add in the carrots, zucchini and onion. Boil for another 5-8 minutes, or until everything is soft and can be pierced with a fork. Remove from heat.
In a separate pot, start boiling the water for the pasta. Cook 12 oz. of your favorite pasta, according to directions. Drain and transfer pasta back to pot.
Start making the cheese sauce. Spoon out the boiled vegetables and transfer them to a blender. Add in the remaining boiled water from that pot. Be careful, it's very hot! Add in rest of the ingredients for the cheese sauce. Blend it up and be sure to let heat out or else it can explode. I usually remove the small center piece from the blender top and just hold it over the top to prevent splatters while also letting out the heat. Taste test and add in extra salt or pepper, if desired.
Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta. Mix until well combined.
Latest posts by (see all)
- Give Your Goals a Punch - February 21, 2020
- Podcast: 3 Reasons Professional Women Should Start One - February 20, 2020
- Turmeric Talk - February 13, 2020
- The Battle Rope Work - February 6, 2020