Whole30 Instant Pot Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
These Whole30 Instant Pot Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes with chicken are the perfect Whole30 dinner: insanely full of flavor, filling, and full of protein, fiber, and healthy fats. Your new go-to Whole30 Mexican recipe! A great anytime paleo Mexican dinner, too. Comes together so easily and quickly in the Instant Pot. Crockpot option included.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes , scrubbed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can RO*TEL , undrained, any variety
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 avocado , peeled and seeded
- 1 jalapeño , stemmed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup avocado-jalapeño sauce
- jalapeños , sliced thin
- fresh cilantro
- RO*TEL , drained
- red onion , chopped
See Notes for sweet potato and chicken cooking instructions if you do not have an Instant Pot. You can also bake your sweet potatoes in the oven while you cook the chicken in the Instant Pot to save time, if you like.
Cook your sweet potatoes: Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Place steaming trivet in bottom of Instant Pot pot then pour 1 1/2 cups water in pot. Place sweet potatoes on trivet then secure lid and cook on Manual, high pressure for 16 minutes. Quick release pressure and remove sweet potatoes from trivet. Set aside. Discard steaming water and rinse cooking pot, making sure outside is very dry.
Make your shredded chicken: combine chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and RO*TEL (undrained) in the pot of an Instant Pot. Do not add water. Secure lid and cook on Manual, high pressure for 20 minutes. Quick release pressure and remove chicken breasts from pot. Shred with two forks then return to pot. Stir on Sauté mode a few minutes until sauce is absorbed.
Meanwhile, make your sauce: combine all avocado-jalapeño sauce ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
To make guacamole, mash avocados and stir in avocado-jalapeño sauce.
To serve: with a knife, make a slit down the top of each sweet potato and press sweet potatoes ends toward center to push open. Top with shredded chicken, guacamole, avocado-jalapeño sauce, more RO*TEL, and garnishes. Serve immediately.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, follow these instructions to bake your sweet potatoes: Preheat oven to 400º F. Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork then place directly on oven rack in middle position. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Remove sweet potatoes from oven and set aside.
- To make chicken in a slow cooker instead of an Instant Pot: In the pot of a slow-cooker, combine all ingredients. Do not add water. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or cook on high for 4 to 6 hours. After about 3/4 of the time, shred the chicken breasts with two forks and leave in the slow-cooker for the rest of the time.
Latest posts by (see all)
- Give Your Goals a Punch - February 21, 2020
- Podcast: 3 Reasons Professional Women Should Start One - February 20, 2020
- Turmeric Talk - February 13, 2020
- The Battle Rope Work - February 6, 2020